Wednesday 25 July 2012

Beauty Tutorial: Futuristic Nails


                                          Girl from Mars: Jil Sander Autumn/Winter 2012

Have a look at the cinema listings, in your local bookshop or turn on a television - the fantasy genre is in full swing. Two of the most highly anticipated films this year were Prometheus and The Hunger Games. The Hunger Games books remain firmly on the bestseller lists and Game of Thrones is ensuring the majority of the population is glued to television sets every Monday night. Whether it’s dystopian tough girls you’re into or otherworldly sprites, the sudden popularity of this genre was reflected on the Autumn/Winter catwalks. Jil Sander showcased sci-fi silver with shocking white while Balenciaga‘s heroines wore electric blue teamed with solid metallic accessories.  The futuristic trend appeared on nails too; featuring in the shows of Chanel, Alice + Olivia and Behnaz Sarafpour.

Behnaz Sarafpour Autumn/Winter 2012

Behnaz Sarafpour’s gorgeous reflective silver tips are what I tried to emulate. After using a base coat I took the most intense silver from my collection, Rimmel Lasting Finish in 239 Your Majesty, and painted the tip of each nail. This did take a bit of patience; it might be easier if you used those crescent shaped guides available in French manicure kits. When the tips had dried I painted my nails with a clear glittery polish, Essence Colour & Go 04 Space Queen, how apt! A top coat went over this and I was ready to kick some alien ass! Researching for this post I discovered that Behnaz Sarafpour’s tips are most likely foils. I think you can easily recreate this look without the expense of foils. I got three days wear without a chip and that’s not too bad considering I used budget nail polish.


Left to right: Rimmel Lasting Finish in 239 Your Majesty, Essence Colour & Go in 04 Space Queen



This photo does not do my shimmering beauties justice


2 comments:

  1. Lovely nails ♥ ;) i like your blog so much! ;)
    xx

    dotsandlaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Oliwia! Your blog is gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete